Monday, December 28, 2015

Week 4: HAPPY NEW YEAR AND HAPPY PEOPLE!:)

Family and Friends!:)

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and have a happy new year! Michigan is such a happy place! The sun doesn't shine much in the sky, but there is definitely light in people's hearts and eyes. I love it!:) It makes me not miss the sun so much! Here are Mom's questions for the week and then I will add more at the end:

1.) Are you starting to adjust to Michigan? How's the weather?

I am starting to adjust here in Antarctica! It is getting colder and icier but I am staying warm thanks to my pluthera of leggings, fuzzy socks, gloves, beanies, etc. It is suppose to start getting really icy here in the next couple days! So pray we will be safe on the road driving and out walking please!:)

2.) Are you getting to know the members and ward a little more?

YES! AND I LOVE THIS WARD! They are the best at giving us rides, inviting us to dinner, etc. Everyone is so sweet and I am finally starting to get to know a lot more names. Me and Sis. Nelson gave a talk in sacrament yesterday about hope and repentance and everyone was telling us that it helped them so much! It was crazy because I prepared and everything, but so many thoughts were running through my head before I got up. I said a prayer that I could be calm, collected, and people could feel the Spirit and that's EXACTLY what happened. Just another tender mercy I am so thankful for! Oh! And look up Jer. 17:7! One of my favorite scriptures about hope!:) I used it in my talk yesterday!

3.) How is McKenzie doing? And more discussion with her?

We have our first lesson with her tomorrow....but we are really struggling. We have so many potentials and lessons set up...but we are having car problems and all the appointments are far away! Long story short, we got given the car with barely any miles left since it is the end of the month and they don't get rebooted until the 1st of January. The struggle is real and walking gets annoying and tiring. Especially since this area is spread out. However, we are praying and having faith that Heavenly Father will help us meet with his children! Please pray that we can figure it out so we can get the work moving along!:)

4.) Have you had any opportunities of service this week?

Me and Sister Nelson got to go meet and talk to THE CUTEST ELDERY COUPLE I HAVE EVER MET! There names are Carrie and Gear Wilcox. Carrie is a less active member with dimensa and Gear is a non-member and is blind. But they literally complete each other! Carrie is Gear's eyes and Gear is Carrie's memory. Relationship goals to the max! They taught me more than I could ever teach them. The Christ-like love they had for each other and people in general was overwhelming and the Spirit was so strong. Their stories were inspiring and they are good people and have lived great lives. If the only reason I was suppose to come to Michigan was to meet them, I would be more then happy!

5.) What's been your favorite part about the work so far?

I love when we talk to people that aren't interested, but we find common ground. Those are the kind, Christ-like people who love everyone no matter how different we are. We had the greatest mini lesson with a Muslim family last night about the Book of Mormon. They were so kind and asked questions about our beliefs and then we asked them some questions about theirs. Sister Nelson always tells me, "People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." It is so true! When we ask people what matters to them and what they love, it brings us together. Because we all love something or someone! Ugh! I can't even describe to you the cool people we have met that just ask questions and love us even though they aren't interested! It makes all the doors that we get slammed in our face SO worth it! 

6.) Ponderize scripture?

I was studying 1 Nephi 5 this morning and verses 18 and 19 really stood out to me. The book of Mormon is true and will go among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people. It will never disappear. It is the word of God and we can get closer to him by studying and living by it's precepts. 

7.) Have you had any "Ah-Ha!" moments this week?

Every day. Hahaha! Every time I have a bad attitude in my head about something I get a spiritual slap in the face and something good happens. The other day was such a long day. We knocked for 5 1/2 hours and we were just exhausted. But by the end of the day, we had such amazing conversations about the gospel with people that it made it totally worth it. Heavenly Father even made it stop raining so we could be more comfortable while doing his work! Tender mercies all around and it is such a blessing to notice them! I challenge you all to write in your journal once a day with at least one tender mercy you noticed that day! As you write them, you will notice how much your Heavenly Father loves you and blesses you!:) (Got that idea from my awesome big sis!)

Anyways, Christmas was awesome for us missionaries! We had breakfast, lunch, and 2 dinner appointments with members and it was the sweetest! They take good care of us and always tell us they love having us in their home. I am so thankful that I got to come out on my mission right before Christmas. It has taught me to always rely on the Lord and through his atonement we can overcome any obstacle, challenge, or weakness we may have. I love you, he loves you, and I hope you all have a happy new year! Remember Christ in all that you do! He is truly the center of all we do and are! Love you all and I will talk to you soon!:)

-- 
Remember the church is true and I love you!
<3Sister Rogers<3
Michigan Lansing Mission



Saw my bestie, Sis. Sheppard, at our half mission Christmas party on Wednesday! One of the best Christmas presents ever!<3


We matched without even realizing it! Love my comp!:)


We got to be angels for a nativity skit at the party! So fun! :) (Other sisters in my half of the mission!)


Our whole MTC sisters' part of our district was there! Truly Christmas!<3


                   All the homies....I mean missionaries.....from AZ...UNITE!!!! (Just in our half of the mission!) Haha!:)


Breakfast at the Barncard's was SO YUMMY and SO FUN!:D


It is Sister Nelson's 20th birthday today, so I went CRAZY!;) Haha! It is harder then you think to get gifts for someone when you are with them 24-7, but it is possible!:) I made gluten and dairy free brownies too! (Dumb health problems!)


Christmas morning with the MSU 3 (University Campus) sisters that live in our apartment complex! The one on the very right is my "grandma." Haha!:)



                                                                                 We are weirdos!;)

No comments:

Post a Comment