Monday, September 26, 2016

Week 42: Refiner's Fire

Hey Family and Friends!

So long story short this has probably been one of the hardest weeks of my mission. Floyd got baptized on Saturday which was a miracle!:D President & Sister Jacobsen along with the AP's came from Lansing, our Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders came from Wyoming, a ton of the ward came, and it was just an overall good day! Me & Sister Gardner got asked by Floyd to say the prayers at his baptism and he has gotten close to the Elders, especially Elder Thompson, and so he asked them to give the talks! They did such a great job and I know he felt the Spirit because there were tears in his eyes as they were speaking.

But here comes the sad part....

He called us Sunday morning saying he was going to be 15 mins late to church because he had to take care of something. We told him that was fine, but that he gets confirmed in sacrament meeting so he has to hurry as much as he can. Well 15 mins turned into 3 hours......and he never showed. In relief society one of the sisters gave a talk about missionary work and a sister said, "Floyd just got baptized yesterday and he wasn't here today. I think we need to go to the rescue!" And I just burst into tears! The burden I felt yesterday felt like I could barely keep myself going. And then when this sister said something I was just so beyond grateful for this amazing ward that I couldn't hold in all of my emotions anymore. We had members coming up to us, texting us, and doing anything they could to help. The Elders' Quorum President and his brother even went to his apartment to check on him after church. I was crying tears of sorrow, relief, and comfort yesterday. Heavenly Father truly does relieve us through other people. We still haven't gotten in contact with him, but we think we saw his car outside Outback which is one of the 2 places he works. Something must have came up.

He had 3 jobs and he quit 1 of them before his baptism because of us! Such a cool story.....so he missed his first baptismal interview Wednesday night because of work and his phone happened to get shut off that day as well (darn Satan), so we went and stalked him at Burger King the next morning. We were trying to reschedule a baptismal interview with him and his boss yells, "Floyd!" And points to her wrist like she has a watch on pretty much telling him to get to work. Well, we were literally talking to him for less than a minute and he was working while he was talking to us! We were so mad that she did that! But we hurried out because we didn't want to get him in trouble and fired. Well at his baptismal interview on Friday, he goes on to tell us, "Oh! I quit that job! She already was bugging me, but that was the last straw. Nobody treats my sisters like that!' It was seriously the sweetest thing ever. We know he loves us and we love him so much! We are just worried he is struggling with his 2 jobs right now and maybe they are threatening to fire him if he doesn't work Sunday's, which is sad because he has made sure he has had them off since we taught him about the Sabbath Day. Anyways, we will keep using our professional stalking skills and keep you updated. Please, please, please keep our sweet Floyd in your prayers.<3

But I LOVED Women's Conference! Sister Stephens and Elder Uchtdorf's talks were my favorite! I sat and bawled when Elder Uchtdorf was talking about missionaries. I have a feeling I will probably be that way for the rest of my life. Haha. But here are a couple of my favorite quotes from him:

"Until then, we walk with whatever faith we have."

"Faith comes to the humble, diligent, and enduring."

"Paul realized his trial was a blessing, and he thanked God for not doing his will."

"There are more ways to see than with our eyes, more ways to touch than with our hands, and more ways to hear than with our ears."

"Don't listen harder, listen differently."

And one of the hugest things I learned from him is that OUR faith CANNOT violate another person's agency or force our will upon God. No matter how strong our faith is. I know that going through the refiner's fire turns us to gold. It is worth the heat. It is worth the blood, sweat, tears, and sometimes feeling along. But we know we never are truly alone. And as it says in 2 Nephi 2:24, "But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things." I may not know why things happen, but God does. And he has a plan for each of us. So we can trust and KNOW with a surety that everything will be ok. And not just ok, but someday, even perfect! 


Remember the church is true and I love you!
<3Sister Rogers<3
Michigan Lansing Mission

Floyd's baptism! I promise he is a teddy bear even though it may look like he is taking a mug shot! Haha!;)


Brother Bright and Floyd...and yes, Brother Bright managing to baptize Floyd worked out perfectly!;)


I don't know what I would do without my amazing companion! I just love her! That is why I am trying to kiss her and then she is a meanie and just makes a weird face! Yes....we are super weird, I know! Bahahahaha!:)


Best buds!<3


These flowers literally make me never want to leave Michigan! They look fake! They are so beautiful and diverse!


Some wicked, awesome trees in Ada.:)


While we are out door knocking....no make-up for days with this humidity! ;)


She's such a dork!;)


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment