Monday, August 22, 2016

Week 37: The Spirit of God Like A Fire Is Burning....and BLOWING here in Grand Rapids!!!:O

Hey Family and Friends!!!:D

So I have never been happier to be alive in my life! WE SURVIVED A TORNADO! It hit on Saturday afternoon and I didn't even know Michigan could get tornadoes!!! ONE OF THE SCARIEST MOMENTS OF MY LIFE. We were up in Rockford (30 mins north of where we live) and we were less active hunting. We got a call from our Elders saying there had been a tornado warning but we should be fine because it isn't that serious and it isn't headed it our direction, but that they would call us if they got any other further information. THEY WERE WRONG. We had a feeling to start heading home, so we did anyways. Well not even 5 minutes later we were still trying to drive out of Rockford AND WE HEAR SIRENS! OH. MY. GOSH! I HAVE NEVER HEARD A SCARIER SOUND IN MY LIFE. My heart literally dropped and we were getting calls from our elders, our sister training leaders, our zone leaders, and even some random voice recording saying Grand Rapids is going to get hit and we need to find shelter IMMEDIATELY! So me and Sister Gardner started frantically thinking of what members we were close to because there was no way we were going to get home in time. We thought of the Baker's who we love and they ended up only being 5 minutes away from where we were at. But as we are calling them (and shaking in the process from being so nervous), they WON'T ANSWER! We call both Brother and Sister Baker and their daughter that is our age multiple times! And then we just end up calling their parents who live with them (well kind of, in a SUPER NICE RV in front of the Baker's SUPER NICE home.) But their parents say just drive to their house and the basement door is unlocked. Their parents were out of town and the Baker's were out of town as well at an amusement park and that's why they weren't answering, but we ended up getting a hold of them as we were chillin' in their basement. Well......looooonnnnggg story short, we ended up being in their basement for 1 1/2 hours. Huddling their dogs, saying lots of prayers, and trying to distract ourselves by eating their food and talking about random things. The storm hit Rockford and STOPPED ON THE NEXT STREET OVER LITERALLY PARALLEL TO OURS. Probably not even a mile away. (If you look it up ON google maps, we were on Belding Road in Rockford and the storm ended up hitting Northland.) If that doesn't show you God is real and protecting us, I don't know what will! I have so much to be grateful for! The tornado was bad enough that it messed up some buildings. It was literally soooo crazy!

But....on a better note! We have two investigators on date for baptism! Sara and Floyd! They were both at church yesterday and the ward just LOVED them! Sara's two kids also came and we are hoping to put them on date for baptism as well soon!:) How we found Floyd is a crazy story. We were personal contacting and we ran into him coming home from work. He tells us he has been looking for a church, and was thinking about God earlier this morning when he say a quote saying something like, "Be grateful you can tie your shoes in the morning, because without God our live would become unloosed." Anyways, he tells us right then and there on the street that he would like to come to church but he would need a ride this Sunday because he car is getting fixed. So we exchange numbers and tell him we can help him find a ride. Well when we get back from personal contacting and door knocking about 1 1/2 hours later he HAD ALREADY CALLED US BACK ASKING IF WE FOUND HIM A RIDE. We called him and told him we did and he asked us if we could also come teach him that day. We said of course and we were on Cloud 9! We put him on date then and there at that first lesson and he accepted! As far as we know he loved church! We see him again tomorrow and Sara again tonight! We just love them and this area!:)

Sister Zacha wasn't able to come to church because of health reasons and Jodi and her kids had "car trouble", so we will just keep working with them!:) But Sister Zacha finally got her temple recommend!!!! Yay! We are so happy for her and she is glowing!:) She is doing great!

We have also started teaching some new investigators and less actives so we will keep you updated with that as it progresses! :) Grand Rapids is BLOWING UP and I LOVE IT HERE! There are rumors going around that I am getting transferred again.....and I am trying not to think about it. I don't know why I have had so many areas and so many companions already (if I get transferred it will be 4 areas and my 9th companion in 9 months), but if that's the Lord's plan for me I trust him! I guess I will figure out Friday!

But we are going to the Detroit Temple on Saturday for our ward temple day and I am soooo excited! I haven't been in 9 months and I know I will be able to get so much spiritual strength as I go! I definitely challenge you all to go this next week, and if you can't currently attend, change some things in your life so you can! Any and every sacrifice is worth going to the temple and receiving the blessings there! 

Well, I won't be able to talk Saturday, so we have permission to email again this next Monday....unless I get transferred! So it might be a while until you hear from Sister Rogers! But know I am alive, healthy, and happy! And I AM SERVING IN THE GREATEST MISSION IN THE WORLD!<3

HAVE A STELLAR WEEK! I LOVE YOU ALL!

--
Remember the church is true and I love you!
<3Sister Rogers<3
Michigan Lansing Mission

Just look at how adorable my comp is! She has the best...and craziest....momma ever!;)


Isn't my sweet companion just the cutest thing ever?!<3


Not as good as AZ Sunsets....but I still give it a 9/10.;)


"Hey....this is a cool picture! Let's take it!" (Little did we know the sky was getting ready to harvest a tornado just a couple hours later....) #shiver

No comments:

Post a Comment